Gas Safety & Tips


Gas, when not used carefully, is a potentially dangerous source of energy. Following are a number of tips about making sure the gas supply in your home is safe:

  • The best way to be sure about your gas appliances is to have them checked regularly by your gas supplier, or by a Registered Installer. 


  • NEVER tamper with gas appliances yourself.


  • If you are in rented accommodation, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that all appliances are maintained properly. If you have any concerns about appliances in rented accommodation, talk to your landlord.


  • Poorly maintained gas appliances (in particular, gas fires) can emit Carbon monoxide, an odourless, colourless and potentially fatal gas. Carbon monoxide detectors can be bought relatively cheaply from most good electrical and home stores to alert you if carbon monoxide is present in your home.


  • If your carbon monoxide detector shows a presence of carbon monoxide, switch OFF YOUR GAS SUPPLY and call your local Fire brigade emergency number IMMEDIATELY!


  • If you smell gas, or think you have a gas leak in your home, TURN OFF YOUR GAS SUPPLY, do not switch any electrical appliances on or off, or bring naked flames into your home.

Follow these safety tips and you and your family should be safe throughout the upcoming winter period!!